If you want to know How to Become an Archaeologist in India then, you have to scroll through this article till the end and grab all the information as per the need of the course. This article contains all the information likes roles and responsibilities of an archaeologist, types of archaeologists, eligibility criteria job opportunities, career scope, salary, and best colleges to pursue the course.
The need of the time is to study the ancient civilization and gather all the information regarding the same and be an expert in the course of the archaeologist in India.
The one who studies archaeology is known as an archaeologist. They study ancient human cultures and civilizations. An archaeologist is a scientist who studies left-over things likes clothes, bones, tools, and dishes. They collect all the evidence of the civilization and culture to observe it and do research work on the same.
To be an Archaeologist you need to have a good command of history and geography and explore the field.
Role & Responsibilities of an Archaeologist
The roles and responsibilities of an Archaeologist are mentioned below.
- He/She needs to Preserve and restore the ancient civilization and human past.
- He/She needs to collect the data regarding the same from the sites.
- As an archaeologist, you need to collect artifacts too.
Types of Archaeologists
There are four types of Archaeology in India. Let’s discuss each of them one by one.
They study the past culture which has no written proves in terms of language.
They study the physical remnants of the human found under the surface of the ocean.
They study the civilization and culture of recorded history.
They study the archaeology of towns and cities.
Courses in Archeology
The courses that you can pursue to be an Archaeologist in India are listed below.
|Diploma in Indian Archaeology||3 years||Rs. 2 Lakhs – Rs. 3.5 Lakhs|
|Bachelor of Arts in Archaeology and Museology||3 years||Rs. 3 Lakhs – Rs. 4.5 Lakhs|
|Bachelor of Arts in Indian History Culture and Archaeology||3 years||Rs. 2 Lakhs -Rs. 4 Lakhs|
|MA in Archaeology||2 years||Rs. 3 Lakhs – Rs. 4 Lakhs|
|Master of Science in Archaeology||2 years||Rs. 2 Lakhs – Rs. 3.5 Lakhs|
|Post-Graduate Diploma in Archaeology||2 years||Rs. 2.5 Lakhs – Rs. 3.5 Lakhs|
|MA in Ancient Indian History and Archaeology||2 years||Rs. 2 lakhs – Rs. 3 Lakhs|
|Doctor of Philosophy in Ancient Indian History, and Culture and Archaeology||3 years||Rs. 3 Lakhs- Rs. 4 Lakhs|
Quick Process to become an Archaeologist
The following are the steps to be an archaeologist in India.
Choose the course that you want to enroll in to be an Archaeologist.
Crack the entrance exam and get admission to is desired college.
Once the admission is over you need to improve your skills and explore new equipment and instruments to learn more.
How to become an Archaeologist in India
To become an Archaeologist you need to fulfill some criteria then only you become eligible. The eligibility criteria are listed below.
The candidate needs to be of 17 years to start learning the Archaeologist course and pursue the same to gain the expertise.
The candidate needs to complete 12th standard from a recognized university in either of the subjects like Art, History, Geology, Literature, Geography, and Anthropology with an aggregate of 55% of the total mark.
- He/She should be hardworking and punctual at the time of work.
- He/She needs to have good foresight and work experience to handle the fieldwork.
- He/She needs to be committed to the work and maintain loyalty and honesty in the work.
- As an Archaeologist, you must know how to work in a team and co-ordinate with the team.
- He/She must know the uses of the instruments or equipment used during the craving and construction of the sites.
- He/She needs to have good IT knowledge.
- He/She needs to be focused and self-motivated.
The entrance exam that is held by some of the universities is listed below. You have to crack either of the exams and get admission to desired colleges.
- Calcutta University Entrance Exam.
- Banaras Hindu University Post Graduate Entrance Test (BHU PET)
- Andhra University Common Entrance Test (AUCET)
- Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test (IPU CET)
As an archaeologist, you must know what you have to study throughout the year. The syllabus for such courses is mentioned below.
- Prehistory of South Asia: Paleolithic and Mesolithic
- Social and Economic History of India (up to 1200 A.D.)
- Political History of India (up to 1200 A.D)
- Introduction to Archaeology
- Science in Archaeology
- Religious History of India
- Protohistory of South Asia
- Methods in Archaeology
- Art and Architecture of India-I (300 B.C to 600 A.D)
- An Outline of World Prehistory
- Ancient Indian Iconography
- Harappan Civilization
- Biological Anthropology
- Cultural Heritage Management
- History of Indian Archaeology
- Environmental Archaeology
- Ancient Indian Paleography and Epigraphy
- Archaeology and Literature
Museology 1: Basic Principles and Practice
Advanced Archaeological Theory and Research Methodology
Books & Study Materials
The study materials that you have to study while pursuing the course are mentioned below.
- The mind in the cave by the author David Lewis-Williams
- Before Civilization by the author Colin Renfrew
- Religious Explained by the author Pascal Boyer
- The Prehistory of the Mind: A Search for origins of Art, Science and Religion by the author Steven Mithen
- Sinews of Survival by the author Kobayashi Issenman
- Return to Chauvet Cave by the author Jean Clottes
You have to choose the course to pursue as an Archaeologist and crack the entrance exam. Once the exam is cracked, you have to wait for the counseling process to get admission to the desired college. You have to complete the course within the tenure and opt for the job opportunities as per your desire.
As an archaeologist, you have different options to get employed. Some of the options are mentioned below.
Deputy Superintendent Archaeologist
As a Deputy Superintendent of Archaeologist, you must have a master’s degree in Indian History/ Geology/Archaeology/Anthropology to work with the Archaeological Survey of India.
Site Excavation and Preservation
They take the international and national projects to work on it and the project is funded by the international and national organizations for decrypting and preserving the ancient civilization and culture.
If you the degree of post-graduate then you can take lectureship as your career in any authorized university.
In the museum, the archaeologist is always in demand to take care of the ancient artifacts and civilization.
As an archaeologist, you can do research work by utilizing different techniques and equipment in the sites. They study human civilization, artifacts, culture, and their environmental effects and organization.
As a lecturer, you can guide students to understand the facts and points about archaeology and proceed in that. The students are the future of India they must know things very briefly and know the process precisely to do research work.
- How to Become a Cosmologist in India
- How to Become a Space Scientist
- How to Become an Aerospace Engineer
Archaeology Jobs In India (Recruiting Companies)
As an Archaeologist, many companies hire them after their degree. Even you can get hired by the government authorities or organizations to work as an Archaeologist in India.
- Indian Council of Historical Research
- Government and Private Museums
- National Museums
- National Heritage Agencies
- Government and Private Universities and Colleges
- Cultural Galleries
You are always paid for your work. As an Archaeologist, you also get for your hard work and efforts. The salary of an Archaeologist is mentioned below.
|Job Profile||Initial Salary in INR||Final Salary in INR|
|Archaeologist||Rs. 20,000-Rs. 30,000 per month||Rs. 5 Lakhs -9 Lakhs per annum|
Best Archaeologist Colleges in India( For Graduation)
To be an Archaeologist you have to complete your graduation from an authorized university. Some of the best colleges’ names are listed below.
- Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam
- Barkathullah Vishwa Vidyalaya, Bhopal
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda
Archaeologist Colleges in India( For Post Graduation)
You can opt for a Master’s in Archaeologist from either of the mentioned college.
- The Delhi Institute of Heritage Research and Management, New Delhi
- Bangalore University, Bangalore
- University of Kerala, Thiruvanthapuram
- Institute of Archaeology, New Delhi
To conclude, this was all about How to Become an Archaeologist in India. Hope this guiding article will give you a proper direction to become an Archaeologist. I tried my best to cover all the details related to an Archaeologist. Yet if you have any more related queries you can ask me by commenting in the comment box. I will try to explain your query more in detail.
Share the article if you liked it! As we all know Sharing Is Caring.