Are you interested to be a Cosmologist in India? If yes, then this article will give you all the information related to Cosmologists. While going through this article you will get to all the roles and responsibilities, Eligibility Criteria, admission process, salary, best institutions to get admission, job opportunities, and career scope as a cosmologist in India.
If you are choosing to be a Cosmologist then you have arrived at the right page to explore and collect all the information.
Cosmologists are the scientists who work on various phenomena of the universe like the sun, stars, galaxies, planets, natural satellites, comets, and meteors. If you are more in stars, moon, constellation and other heavenly bodies then Cosmologist is the best career to pursue and be an expert in the same.
Those who want to learn more about cosmology need to have a good command of physics. Their only work is to do research work and give the right information to the public. They keep track of all the happenings in the universe and unique one is disclosed to the public after verification.
Role & Responsibilities of Cosmologist
As a Cosmologist, you have some responsibilities to look into. Some of the duties and responsibilities of the Cosmologist are mentioned below.
- He/She analyzes the data with the help of a telescope.
- As a Cosmologist, you need to monitor the heavenly bodies on regular basis.
- All the observations are jotted down to cross verify the data through software.
- He/She helps in designing equipment to study the heavenly body in detail.
Quick Process to Become Cosmologist
Follow the steps to be a cosmologist in India.
As a candidate, you must have a Bachelor’s Degree either in Maths, Physics, or astronomy
You have to crack the entrance exam you pursue the course. If you are interested then you can pursue a master’s in cosmology and later on Ph.D. in the same.
For a Ph.D. you have to crack the Joint entrance screening test (JEST) and enroll yourself in the course. The candidate has to interact with other experts or be a part of research centers or institutions and other departments like astronomy and physics.
Even you can join any public or private organization under any expert scientist to gain ideas and knowledge in the same.
How to become a Cosmologist in India
To become a Cosmologist you need to qualify some must-have criteria. The eligibility criteria to become a Cosmologist are listed below.
To be a cosmologist you need to be of 17 years of age.
For the Cosmology Degree, the candidate needs to complete 12th standard with Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry as the main subjects.
- As a cosmologist, you need to be hand working and passionate about your work.
- He/She needs to be an expert in the field to understand things easily.
- He/She should have the potential to work for long hours with dedication.
The Entrance Exam to pursue the cosmologist course are listed below. You need to crack any of these exams to get admission to your desired college.
- JEE Main and Advanced for Bachelor’s Degree
- GATE/CSIR NET/JRF for Master’s and Ph.D
The course of study that you have to study for a cosmologist is mentioned below.
- Oscillation and waves
- Laboratory experiments
- Special Relativity
- Physics of fields and matter
- Properties of matter
- Modern Physics
- Quantum Mechanics
- Mathematical Physics
- Dynamics and Vector Calculus
- Linear algebra and calculus
- Classical Mechanics
- Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Thermal Physics
- Static Physics
- Dynamics and Relativity
- Quantum Mechanics
- Research Methodology
Books & Study Material
The candidate needs to study books as mentioned by the institutions or colleges. The fascinating images of the universe will give you more ideas and interest to study further and be an expert in the course. Some of the book’s names are listed here to be fundamentally strong and confident.
- Until the end of the time by Brian Greene
- Calculating the cosmos by Ian Stewart
- Cosmic Revolution by Luke A. Barnes and Geraint F. Lewis
- Introduction to Galaxy formation and Evolution by Carol Nipoti and Andrea Cimatti
- Principal of Gravitational Lensing by Charles R. Keeton
- The number of Heavens by Tom Seigfried
- An introduction to Galaxy and Cosmology by Mark H. Jones and Stephen Serjeant
About Admission Process
You need to first choose the field in which you want to gain your expertise and then based on same you have to crack the entrance exam. Once the exam is cracked you need to wait for the counseling to get to the desired college.
- How to Become a Space Scientist
- How to become a Radiologist in India
- How to become an Oncologist in India
As a Cosmologist, you need to do a lot of research work to find out the answers to origins, motion, constitution, and other happenings in the universe. They need to give proper information about the same with reasons to believe and accept the facts.
The scope for a cosmologist is in various organizations or institutions like
- Space Physics Laboratories
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
- Association of Bangalore Amateur Astronomers (ABAA)
- Lecturer or Professor to teach in universities
Top Recruiting Companies
Some of the top recruiting agencies to hire Cosmologist in India are mentioned here.
- Space research organization
- NGOs and space application centers
- Physical Laboratories
- Colleges and Universities teaching astronomy and cosmology
- Aerospace companies
- Astronomical equipment manufactures
Salary of Cosmologist
The salary of a Cosmologist is mentioned below. With the experience comes a good amount of salary. The more you work and gather as much information as possible the big is the amount in your pocket.
|Job Profile||Initial Salary in INR||Final Salary In INR|
|Cosmologist||Rs. 30,000 – Rs. 35,000 per annum||Rs. 10,00,000 – Rs. 12,00,000 per annum|
Best Colleges in India to Perceive the Course
The list of the best colleges to perceive the cosmologist course in India is mentioned below.
- India Institute of Space Science and Technology, Trivandrum
- Raman Research Institute, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Sciences, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore
- Physical Research laboratory, Ahmedabad
- Andhra University (AU), Vishakhapatnam
- Punjabi University, Patiala
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Pune
- Centre for Advanced Study in Astronomy, Hyderabad
To conclude, this was all about How to Become a Cosmologist in India. Hope now becoming a Cosmologist is easy to think with this simple guide. This article is a stepping stone to become a successful Cosmologist. So, do not forget to share this article with your near and dear ones. This article can help many to achieve their dream.
For any related queries regarding a Cosmologist feel free to ask me by commenting in the box. I will get back to you with a proper answer to your question.