Are you the one who is interested in knowing How to become CID officer? If you desire to be a CID officer then read this article till the end. In this article, you will gather all the information regarding the roles and responsibilities, citizenship, eligibility criteria, education qualification, exam pattern, salary, and other relatable information regarding the same.
If you aspire to how to become CID after the 12th, then you have chosen the right page to collect all the product information and proceed with the preparation and the strategy to crack it. You need to be hard-working and disciplined to crack the entrance exam and get your desired post in the department.
About CID Officer
The career of a CID officer is more demanding among the youth. If you want to have a career in providing Justice to the people then being a CID officer is the right choice. CID is all about looking into the matter of the crime that takes place in the city under the Government of India Act.
Only those cases are looked into by a CID officer who is assigned by The Government of India. As CID officers who have good decision-making skills, problem-solving qualities, analyzing the case, in brief, to investigate and gathering all the evidence.
CID officers are given complex cases to solve like rape, fraud, riots, and murder. They keep reports of the cases, look into autopsies, co-operating with another department to solve the queries.
There are other departments along with the post of CID officer to work as detectives are Anti-Human Trafficking, Human Rights Department, Dog Squad, Scientific Research Centre, Bank Frauds, Fingerprints, Missing Persons Bureau, Footprints Bureau, and Crime Inspection. There are different posts available in the CID their salary, educational qualification, and other eligibility criteria differ from different positions.
Full-Form of CID
Crime Investigation Department is abbreviated as CID. The post of CID officer is one of the most privileged ones among the police organization. When you start working in this department you will be called a CID officer or Detectives.
Role & Responsibilities of CID Officer
With position comes great responsibility. Being a CID officer there are a lot of responsibilities to take care of to solve the case. Some of the responsibilities of the CID officer are listed below. Let’s go and learn each of them.
- He/She looks into the crime cases gathers all the pieces of evidence, maintains the report, and investigates the witnesses.
- Those matters which are assigned by the Government of India are investigated by the CID officers.
- He/she has many other sections to concern about like fingerprints, bank fraud, human trafficking, and scientific investigation.
- He/She responsibilities are to solve complicated and complex cases like communal riots, murder, fraud, rape, and assault cases.
- He/She has to act smart and work intelligently to take decisions in solving crime cases.
- He/She have to follow the rules and regulation to proceed in the case and present in front of the court.
How to become CID Officer in India
To become a CID Officer you need to qualify some eligibility criteria. The eligibility criteria are as follows.
To be a CID officer you need to be a citizen of India.
To appear in the exam for CID officers both males and females are eligible.
CID Officer Qualification
- The candidate must have a bachelor’s or graduation degree from any authorized university.
- Some of the Universities in India provide Criminal Justice and Criminology at graduation level to get enroll in CID.
The physical criteria to become a CID Officer are listed below.
The aspirant needs to have the following vision to get enroll in CID.
- For Distant Vision 6/6 and 6/9 as either of the eyesight.
- For Near Vision 0.6 and 0.8 as either of the eyesight.
The height of male and female candidates is listed below.
|Hills men and tribal||5cm relaxation|
76 cm, inflated
Some of the skills needed to be a CID officer are mentioned below.
- He/She should have good manners to make others convenient to work with them.
- Good in Communication.
- The aspirant should be good in current affairs or General Knowledge.
Two exams are held to get enroll as a CID officer. First, the Indian Civil Services examination held by the Union Public Service Commission. The second is through the SSC exam.
The exam is conducted in three phases.
- The first phase of the exam that is written has a duration of two hours.
- The exam is conducted of 200 marks.
- The paper includes reasoning, numerical aptitudes, English comprehension, General Awareness, and General Intelligence.
- The second phase of the examination is conducted for four hours.
- The exam includes arithmetical abilities. It consists of 100 questions. The duration of the exam is 2 Hours.
- The second phase of the exam consists of English language and comprehension. It has 200 Questions with a time duration of 2 Hours.
Once the written exam is clear the candidate is asked to go for a Physical examination on a particular date based on height, chest, and eyesight.
The last part of the exam is the Interview is conducted on 100 Marks. The question is based on current affairs, general knowledge, and reasoning.
Another way to Become CID Officer
1. Another way to become a CID Officer is to join the Police Force. Here you have to join the police force after your bachelor’s degree. The promotion as a Police Officer gives you the designation of CID Officer. For this process, the candidate at least needs to have experience of a minimum of 2 years to become a CID Officer. If you are looking forward to How to become an IPS Officer, then read the detailed information here.
2. You can also become a CID Officer through UPSC Exam. It is also one of the ways to get into the CID Department.
What is UPSC
UPSC Examination is conducted in three stages namely- Preliminary Exam (CSAT Test) comprising of two papers which are objective type, Mains Exam which includes 9 papers which are subjective type. After qualifying the two phases you are eligible for the Interview Process. Read the detailed information of UPSC Exam Details here.
The UPSC exam is conducted in 3 stages as listed below.
- Preliminary exam
- Mains exam
- Interview process
1. Preliminary exam
The preliminary exam has 2 papers
that are conducted. Each paper has 200 marks a total of 400 marks. The question
paper is in two languages namely English and Hindi. The duration of the paper
is 2 hours each paper. This examination carries a negative marking of the
one-third penalty. That is for each wrong answer there is a negative marking of
0.33 marks. This paper has objective-type questions which comprise
2. Mains exam
After qualifying for the preliminary exam the candidates are eligible for the second round that is the mains exam. Generally, Mains Exams are conducted in the month of January. After
the mains exam, the candidate will be liable for the process of the interview. Mains Exam has the descriptive type of questions.
When you qualify for the interview round you become IAS Officer. During the review subject knowledge, personal skills, as well as Mental Ability, is tested. After cracking the final
round of interviews a candidate is qualified to become an IAS officer. He is given training and then posted according to the requirements.
Books & Study Material
The books & study material to become a CID Officer are listed below.
- Verbal and non-verbal reasoning by S. Chand.
- Quick Learning objective Genera English by R.S Aggarwal.
- Reasoning by B.S Sijwali and Indu Sijwali.
- General Knowledge by Lucent’s publication.
Number Of Attempts
The number of attempts as per the category of the candidate is listed below.
Selection Process for CID Officers
The selection process for CID officers is very easy. For that, you have to appear for a written test. After that, the candidate proceeds for a Physical test. The Interview is the last step to get selected as a CID officer.
The selection process is listed below.
1. Written Exam
2. Physical Test
3. Interview Process
Job Roles for CID Officer
The role of a Fraud Investigator is to collect the statements of the complaints and queries, do research work in the case and analyze all the facts and pieces of evidence and get confessions from the witnesses.
As a narcotics officer, your duty is to look into the illegal case of drugs and they’re widespread. The officers maintain the reports and other evidence related to the cases.
Criminologists deal with the investigation, theories, and look into the reports of the case. As a criminologist, you can understand criminal behavior also.
The duty of a Police Officer is to write the complaints, interact with the family or other witnesses and gather evidence if any. The Police Officer looks into the safety of the surrounding people and family members too.
The paralegal looks into the actions to maintain the case details. They help lawyers in maintaining motions and pleadings.
As Investigative Officers, their role is to look into the matter of how the crime was committed, to collect all the evidence to solve the case. They are also called in the court to brief their investigations.
- CID is headed by the Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) in the police forces.
- Additional Director General of Police (ADGP)
- Inspector-General of Police (IGP)
- General Sub-Division (DIG)
- Police Officer (SP)
- Deputy Superintendent of Police (Dy, S.P.)
- Superintendent (Superintendent)
- Under Inspector (Sub-Inspector)
- Assistant under Inspector (Sub Inspector)
- Constable (constable)
Career Scope/Employment Opportunities
Their work is to identify and gather all the pieces of evidence from the scene. You can get the scope in the Government sector and other agencies like local, federal, and state.
Top Recruiting Companies
Some of the top recruiting companies to hire CID officers are jotted below.
- Drug enforcement agency (DEA)
- Government of India
- The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF)
Salary of CID Officer
In whatever profile you get the opportunity to work salary is the most important part to understand in detail. In this article, we have mentioned the salary of three posts of CID. They are listed below.
|Job Profile||Initial Salary in INR||Intermediary Salary in INR||Final Salary in INR|
|Police Officer||1,76,171||3,25, 950||7,86,880|
Best Colleges in India to perceive the course
The best colleges to pursue CID courses in India are mentioned below.
- Government Law College, Mumbai
- Rizvi Law College, Mumbai
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala
- National Law University, Delhi
- Law College, Dhanbad
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar
- NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad
To conclude, this was all about How to become CID Officer. I have tried covering all the detailed guide of the CID Officer. Even though if you have any more queries related to the concerned topic ask me by commenting in the comment box. I will get back to you with a proper answer. Also, share with me your experience of becoming a CID officer.
Sharing Is Caring – Share the article if you liked it!