Are you interested to know How to become a Fashion Designer in India? If yes, then explore the article till the end and gather all the information to be a Fashion Designer. Here, you will read about the roles and responsibilities, courses to enroll as a Fashion Designer, Steps have become a Fashion Designer, career scope, job opportunities, salary, best institutions to get admission, and eligibility criteria.
Fashion Designing courses are in demand among the youth to showcase their talent and frame the draft of their design to the clients and the customers. If you are choosing Fashion Designing as your career, then you will have a bright future as the demand for clothes with the latest design is unending and keeps on evolving with time.
Your passion will make you more loving among the public and your fans will never leave your side in terms of purchasing your design or accessories.
About Fashion Designer
Fashion Designers are those who are good at creativity and put down their imagination in the clothes and their accessories. They design the clothes in such a way to make them unique and stylist which later becomes the trend. A fashion designer works from every perspective and deal in every designing field like making stylish suits, skirts, dresses, pants, and accessories. They even design jewelry and stylish shoes.
The Fashion designing field is vast and more attractive to earn good respect and fame among the people. The designers are more influenced by the public need and choices to present any design in clothes, jewelry, or accessories.
Role & Responsibilities of a Fashion Designer
As Fashion Designer they have some roles and responsibilities. Some of the responsibilities are mentioned here.
- He/She sketch or draw the design as per the need of the clients
- He/She needs to collaborate with the fabric manufacture to get good quality materials.
- He/She needs to advertise the design to get some eyes on it.
- He/She needs to work with other designers and prepare the prototypes of the pieces.
- As Fashion Designer, they must beat the deadline and work sincerely.
- He/She needs to co-operate with the clients and work accordingly. They should have the good listening skill and proceed in their task as per the requirement.
- He/She must make mood boards represent the clients.
- As a Fashion Designer either you make the design by hand or by using applications like computer-aided design (CAD).
- You need to see the design or understand the same from a technical perspective also.
- It’s your responsibility to buy fabrics, embellishments from the industries, and attain trade shows to get ideas and opportunities to design the clothes or accessories.
- As a Fashion Designer, you can look at the past design for mass production.
Courses for Fashion Designing
The courses to become a Fashion Designer are mentioned below.
- Bachelor of Fashion Technology
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) Fashion Design
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) Textile Design
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) Fashion Communication
- Bachelor of Fashion Design
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) Knitwear Design
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) Accessory Design
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) Leather Design
- Bachelor’s degree in Retail and Fashion Merchandise
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) Textile Design
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) Fashion DesignBachelor of Design (B.Des.) Accessory Design
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) Fashion Communication
- Diploma in Textile Design
- Diploma in Fashion Photography
- Diploma in Visual Merchandising
- Diploma in Apparel Design
- Diploma in Fashion Technology
- Diploma in Retail Merchandising
- Diploma in Fashion Design
- Diploma in Leather Design
Quick Steps to Become a Fashion Designer
Go through the following steps to be a Fashion Designer in India.
Select the course to pursue as a Fashion Designer.
Check the Eligibility Criteria to pursue such courses and crack the entrance exam to get admission to the desired college.
Complete the Course along with the internship from any authorized firms to update your resume.
Either practice under some authorized firms or choose to have your own office to deal with the clients.
How to Become a Fashion Designer in India
There is no age limit to be a Fashion Designer as long you are good at creativity and sketch.
The candidate needs to complete the 12th standard to enroll in the Fashion Design course. After the graduation level also, you can pursue the course once the entrance exam is cleared.
Skills Required to become Fashion Designer
- You must have the following skills to be a Fashion Designer in India.
- You need to be creative and Innovative.
- Good in Observing.
- He/She should be good in communication skills.
- One must be sensitive to colors and shades.
- As a Fashion Designer, you need to be Goal-oriented and complete the work within the deadline.
- You must be good at understanding the customer choice and market need.
- You must be good in thinking and viewing the thing in detail.
- Good in Persuasions and sketch.
The entrance required to crack for the Fashion Designing courses are listed below.
|NIFT Entrance Exam||AIEED|
|CEED||Pearl Academy Entrance Exam|
|NID Entrance Exam||IICD|
For BDes Fashion Designing Courses the following syllabus needs to study.
|Introduction to Pattern Making & Draping||Fashion Illustration|
|Fashion Theory||Research & Communication|
|Current Trends and Forecasting||Introduction to Fashion Design & Fashion Technology|
|Advanced Draping||Element of Colour & Design|
|History of Fashion||Introduction to Textiles|
|Fashion Accessory||Current Trends and Forecasting|
|Fashion Model Drawing||Introduction to Fashion Sketching & Illustration|
|Computer-Aided Design||Model & Prototype Development|
For BSc Fashion Designing Courses, you must study the following syllabus.
|Basic Computer Studies||Basic Photography|
|Apparel Construction Methods||Colour Mixing|
|Indian Art Appreciation||Analytical Drawing|
|History of Costumes||Computer-Aided Design|
|Leather Designing||Introduction to Pattern Making & Garment Construction|
|Creative Jewellery||Current Global Fashion Trends|
|Elements of Textiles||Fashion History|
|Elements of Design||Fabric Dyeing and Printing|
|Geometrical Construction||Fashion Forecasting|
|Fashion Illustration and Design||Free Hand Drawing|
For BA(Hons) Fashion Designing Course following is the Syllabus
|Fabric Dyeing and Printing||History of Costumes|
|Introduction to Pattern Making and Garment Construction||Surface Development Techniques|
|Fashion Studies||Colour Mixing|
|Computer-Aided Design||Leather Designing|
|Manufacturing Technology||Elements of Textiles|
|Principles of Fashion||Apparel Construction Methods|
For MDes Fashion Designing following is the Syllabus
|Introduction to Design||Graphic Design|
|Design Methods||Visual Design- Principal and application|
|Form Studies||Design Methods|
For MA Fashion Designing Courses following is the syllabus
|Apparel Manufacturing Technology||Fashion Communication|
|Knitwear Design Technology||Design Illustration|
|Retail Marketing & Merchandising||Computer Designing|
|Construction of Women’s Wear||Advanced Pattern Making|
Books & Study Materials
- The End of Fashion by the Author Tri Agins
- The Beautiful Fall by the Author Alicia Drake
- Fashion -Oxford History of Art by the Author Christopher Breward
- The Fashion Designer Survival Guide by the Author Mary Gehlhar
- A book name Women in Cloths by Heildi Julavits, Sheila Heti, and Leanne Shapton
- The power of style by the Author Kate Betts
- Everyday Icon by the Author Michelle Obama
- Love style life by the Author Garance Dore
- Fashion Design Essentials by the Author Jay Calderin
- Fashion Sketchbook by the Author Bina Abling
- Heads: A guide to drawing Fashion by the Author Nancy Riegelman
- Fashion Design: Process, Innovation, and Practice by the Author Kathryn McKelvey and Janine Munslow
As a Fashion Designer student, you need to undergo an internship process for more learning and getting work experience in the field. These internships will make you too confident and profound in your work. This will be the initial process to deal with things and gather more knowledge about the work.
As an intern, you must work under a higher authority and present all your plans and designs to them for approval. The authority may question who regarding your projects and plans you need to prepare for such questions and improve or work on their feedback.
These internships are helpful to get a good job as they will update your resume too.
How to Become a Fashion Designer in India without a Degree
Some of the ways to become a Fashion Designer in India without a degree are mentioned below.
- Learn basic about Photoshop, CAD, and illustrator.
- Make a solid portfolio of your designs and ideas.
- Learn the basics of designs and trends from the magazines and internet.
- Learn from the history about the costume, arts, and fine design used
- Practice drawings of your imagination to catch your eyes and try to work on sketchbooks.
- Present your past work to companies and get selected in it.
Job Roles of a Fashion Designer
As a fashion designer, you need to know all the fields in the same to learn and explore to get good Job Opportunities.
As a beginner, you can have your own firm or can join other firms to do the design work. You have you work in a variety of fabrics and clothes like jeans, men’s wear, sportswear, children’s wear, jackets, and women’s wear.
As a Quality Controller, you must choose the best standard of materials or fabrics to design. They also keep eye on the materials after each stage of production.
Fashion Concept Manager
As a Fashion Concept Manager, you must present different ideas or themes to the designer and the firms. The research in the market and advertise the design accordingly.
They work for boutiques or for any companies to advertise the brand or stores. Fashion Marketer needs to make the blueprint of the plan and market strategies to get their eyes on it and that leads to the increase in the sale of the products.
Fashion Consultant/Personal Stylist
They are self-employed and give ideas to the customer as a consultant to follow which designs or what is more trending in the market. They help in improving the common public wardrobe to maintain the status in their friend circle. Fashion Consultant even gives advice regarding make-up, hair styling, which color to put on, and matching accessories.
Their role is to look at the current trends and suggest the designer for the fabric, style, design the company to present. They need to be up to date regarding the designs through Fashion Magazine, stores, and design house.
The role of a technical designer is to track the stitching of the clothes and packaging too. They work when the draft of the design is given to them. They give all the information like wash description, packaging, labeling, and measurement description.
Fashion Show Organisers
They organize and manage fashion events to present the work of the designers in their connections.
As a Fashion Designer, you have the following career scope to have a bright future.
- Apparel manufacturing firms
- Government Handloom departments
- Fashion retailers
- Clothing manufacturing firms
- TV and Film production houses
- How to Become a Graphic Designer in India
- How to Become Air Hostess
- How to become Interior Designer in India
Top Recruiters in India
The best recruiters in India to hire Fashion Designer are jotted below. These companies give great scope and opportunities to present their talent in the design.
|Madura Garment||Span India|
|ITC Ltd.||Omega Designs|
|Shahi Exports||Orient Craft|
|Pearl Global||Modelama Exports|
|Spykar||Uni Style India|
|Varun Behl||Sabyasachi Mukherjee|
|Rohit Bal||Manish Malhotra|
Salary of Fashion Designer
As a Fashion Designer, there are different posts and fields to design the products. The salary of some of them is mentioned below.
|Job Profile||Initial Salary in INR||Intermediary Salary in INR||Final Salary in INR|
Top Fashion Designing Institutes in India
The best Fashion Designing Institutes in India to get admission to pursue the course are mentioned below.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Chennai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
- Pearl Academy, Jaipur
- Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida
- Northern India Institute of Fashion Technology, Mohali
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- Army Institute of Fashion and Design, Bangalore
To conclude, this was all about How to Become a Fashion Designer in India. Now achieve your dream of becoming a famous Fashion Designer in India with this simple guide. If you have any more queries related to Fashion Designer you can ask me by commenting in the comment box. I will get back to you with a reply.
Sharing Is Caring – If you have liked the article share it!